From: Rob Cakebread <pythonhead@g.o>
To: "Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 46: Allow upstream tags in metadata.xml
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 19:29:49
1 Santiago M. Mola wrote:
2 >
3 > The GLEP should be updated. "Motivation" section does not seem to
4 > justify the changes. IMO Meatoo [1] (and its hipothetical rewrite
5 > using Doapspace [2]) would be the right tool to detect version bumps.
6 > Maybe metadata.xml should contain a Freshmeat or DOAP entry so meatoo
7 > could get more automation.
8 >
9 > Anyway, I don't know how much would take the new version of meatoo.
10 > Pythonhead, could you give us some news about it? Or it's just planned
11 > for the long-term future?
14 > [1] http://meatoo.gentooexperimental.org/
15 > [2] http://blog.doapspace.org/
19 Sorry, I missed this email, but I'll be at the council meeting to listen
20 in on talk about GLEP 46.
21
22 Having Freshmeat, SourceForge etc. project id's in metadata.xml sounds
23 great.
24
25 I would gladly write a tool to go through SourceForge and Freshmeat's
26 metadata and match project names to ebuild package names using HOMEPAGE.
27 I already have code to parse FLOSSMole's[1] metadata, so it'd be
28 simple to whip up quickly.
29
30 doapspace.org has an API that lets you give a SourceForge, Freshmeat,
31 PyPI and RubyForge project name and get metadata back, so having a link
32 to the DOAP's URL in metadata.xml isn't really needed for those. For
33 self-hosted projects, we could either put a link to the DOAP in
34 metadata.xml, or simply make sure the HOMEPAGE matches the homepage in
35 the DOAP itself. The second is preferable because the URL to the DOAP
36 could change.
37
38 Meatoo will be much more accurate after I cross-reference metadata from
39 FLOSSMole to map Gentoo package names to other forge/package index
40 names. Once that's done, we'll have very accurate version bump info that
41 can be looked up by herd/maintainer, from SourceForge, RubyForge,
42 Freshmeat etc.
43
44 Rob
45