From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 19:54:09
1 On 02/03/2017 01:33 PM, Patrick McLean wrote:
2 >
3 > We might as well go back to before IUSE defaults then. Part of the
4 > advantage of IUSE defaults is maintainers don't all have to fiddle with
5 > the profiles, everything can be self-contained in the ebuild. This
6 > drastically complicates maintenance, having two locations to track and
7 > change rather than just one.
8
9 You still retain the benefit for IUSE defaults that actually belong in
10 the base profile, just not for upstream defaults or the ones that you
11 personally prefer.
14 > I suspect that there is a small subset
15 > of people interested in this, and perhaps those people could maintain a
16 > "minimal" profile that unsets IUSE defaults.
17
18 Then every IUSE default gets recorded twice: once when the maintainer
19 puts it in the ebuild, and once when I add it (negated) to the minimal
20 profile. That's a bad design even if we pretend that I can solve the
21 problem of tracking every IUSE change in the tree.
24 > Also, I would just point out that the particular IUSE default that
25 > you objected to in your original email does not really affect this
26 > "minimalist" ideal that you seem to hold. The "hpn" USE flag on
27 > openssh does not actually pull in any extra dependencies, it just
28 > adds some optimizations to the network code to make it faster.
31 Yeah, that. OpenSSH is probably the most security-critical package on
32 our systems. OpenSSH is maintained upstream by a talented team of
33 security-conscious people. The HPN patch is,
34
35 a) a third-party patch...
36 b) that has been rejected by the talented security-conscious team...
37 c) and is useless for most people.
38
39 So why are we deciding for our users that they must have it?