From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 18:34:08
1 On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 08:43:50 -0500
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 02/03/2017 08:21 AM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> How about rather changing our defaults to satisfy the minimalists
7 > >> who don't mind drastically reduced functionality and usability in
8 > >> pursuit of "minimalism" we just strive to make USE="-*" mostly
9 > >> usable, so the minimalists can get what they want, while still
10 > >> having sane defaults.
11 > >
12 > > I'm in favour of this too -- I know we don't "officially" support
13 > > USE="-*" but I think we should still strive to make it work with
14 > > minimal effort to end-users -- that effort being mainly setting
15 > > whatever is necessary for REQUIRED_USE resolution.
18 > It will never be easy, because USE="-*" overrides your profile. What
19 > people want is a way to have USE="-*" apply between the base profile
20 > and the one that they select.
21 >
22 > This is all easily fixed by creating a new profile one-level above
23 > base where developers can put their favorite USE flags:
24 >
25 > 1. We create a new empty profile called "penultimate" inheriting
26 > from base.
27 >
28 > 2. Update the profiles that inherit from base to inherit from
29 > penultimate.
30 >
31 > 3. Move every upstream and maintainer-pet IUSE default into the
32 > penultimate profile.
33 >
34 > 4. Make it policy that IUSE defaults should only be used for
35 > critical flags and REQUIRED_USE persuasion.
36 >
37 > 5. Now we can create embedded, hardened, etc. profiles that inherit
38 > from base and get a minimal working set of USE flags.
41 We might as well go back to before IUSE defaults then. Part of the
42 advantage of IUSE defaults is maintainers don't all have to fiddle with
43 the profiles, everything can be self-contained in the ebuild. This
44 drastically complicates maintenance, having two locations to track and
45 change rather than just one.
46
47 I don't know that I would agree that making an absolutely "minimal"
48 build as easy as possible is something that most people want
49 (especially if it makes maintainership more complicated for a
50 significant number of packages). I suspect that there is a small subset
51 of people interested in this, and perhaps those people could maintain a
52 "minimal" profile that unsets IUSE defaults.
53
54 Also, I would just point out that the particular IUSE default that
55 you objected to in your original email does not really affect this
56 "minimalist" ideal that you seem to hold. The "hpn" USE flag on
57 openssh does not actually pull in any extra dependencies, it just
58 adds some optimizations to the network code to make it faster.