From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: GPL and Source code providing
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 18:54:40
1 On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 13:04 -0400, Curtis Napier wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 09:00 -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 >
5 > [snip]
8 > > Anyway, I really am starting to like the DVD available via the store
9 > > idea more and more, as it only means Release Engineering needs to do a
10 > > little extra work, and it requires no extra work for our mirrors or
11 > > Infrastructure team.
14 > I like this idea as well, especially since it means less work. You
15 > mentioned in a previous mail charging only what it cost us to make. If
16 > it's decided to go with this idea I think we should mark it up a little,
17 > even if it's only a dollar or two. People actually don't mind paying a
18 > little if it's going to go towards helping Gentoo. We get tons of
19 > threads asking about donating in the forums so this would be a good way
20 > to help with that (even if the DVD isn't purchased very often).
21
22 No, if they want to contribute, they can buy the release stuff. The
23 reason for not marking up the source DVD would be the GPL pretty much
24 says that you can charge a reasonable amount for the work required
25 (media/shipping) to get them the sources. That amount would be the base
26 price from Cafepress.
27
28 Also, as much as those "threads" claim people are willing to pay, actual
29 store sales beg to differ.
32 Chris Gianelloni
33 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
34 x86 Architecture Team