From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ideas for a (fast) EAPI=3
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 02:12:05
1 On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 04:51 +0300, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 >
3 > In separate threads:
4 ..
5 > * dohard being deprecated
8 Actually bug #235642 has been fixed by now, and therefore this seems
9 simple enough.
10
11 The main reasoning for deprecation (and banning) of dohard() was that
12 bug as far as I understood, and it is fixed now.
13
14 However due to technical restriction intrinsic to hard links, we should
15 rephrase what it does - to emphasize that it tries to do a hard link,
16 but if that is not technically possible, it will be a copy. That is,
17 there is no guarantee but a best effort.
18
19 It can be useful when it works. If it ends up in a separate partition,
20 there is nothing we can do. But the common case is that the hard link
21 destination is in the same directory as the source, and that pretty much
22 means the same partition as well.
26 Mart Raudsepp
27 Gentoo Developer
28 Mail: leio@g.o