From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ideas for a (fast) EAPI=3
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 01:50:37
1 Hello,
2
3 On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 08:49 +0100, Tiziano Müller wrote:
4
5 > With eapis 1 and 2 we introduced nice features but also a couple of
6 > new
7 > problems. One of them are the use dependencies when the package you
8 > depend on doesn't have the use flag anymore (see [1] for an example).
9 >
10 > So I think it's time for a short eapi bump with some distinct
11 > improvements:
12 >
13 > http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pPAJXP6shYH78lCXeqRqCUQ
16 > Please discuss.
19 Sorry for getting my points of discussion on the details to the list so
20 late.
21 I have covered some of my concerns on the items in meetings and
22 otherwise on IRC, but now I'll try to get to them in further detail and
23 better wording to the mailing list.
24
25 I'm going to go item-by-item here for the things I don't expect much
26 replies to, and then starting separate threads for those that I do.
29 pkg_pretend
30 ===========
31
32 No objections.
33 Gives an intermediate step for handling USE flag combination
34 incompatibilities at pretend stage (to not find it failed in the
35 morning), yet has uses outside that as well. So, once there is a way to
36 express those kind of USE flag dependencies outside of pkg_pretend in a
37 better way in a future EAPI, pkg_pretend will still be useful for other
38 (less common) cases and can provide a description of the problem to the
39 user.
42 Use based deps with non-existing USE flags
43 ==========================================
44
45 No objections.
46 Implements the missing bit of "built_with_use --missing"
47 Main driving force behind EAPI-3.
50 default src_install
51 ===================
52
53 No considerable input yet, catching up with the latest thread about
54 src_install bikeshedding
57 doinclude
58 =========
59
60 Unnecessary. Might be interesting for automatic executable permission
61 removing, but upstream build systems should be fixed instead for such a
62 big and rare error.
65 ban dosed
66 =========
67
68 I don't exactly see a reason for the banning yet, but no objections due
69 to general agreement on it and having no technical objections
72 doins support for symlinks
73 ==========================
74
75 Lacking information. Need to see if the PMS draft has anything about it.
76 The bug and summaries just talk about the support, but no details. Would
77 it be an argument to doins?
80 unpack failing on unknown types
81 ===============================
82
83 Uncertain about it's worthiness. Might rather have the opposite with a
84 --strict argument kind of deal. No official objection from me.
87 docompress
88 ==========
89
90 Need some more time to digest through it in relation to
91 PORTAGE_COMPRESS, prepalldocs and co. Will try to follow-up before
92 meeting.
95 properties must be cached properly
96 ==================================
97
98 No opinion, up to the package manager developers.
99 Don't see offhand why it should be an EAPI item at all. Feels like an
100 implementation detail.
103 DEFINED_PHASES must be supported (and cached properly)
104 ======================================================
105
106 No opinion, up to the package manager developers more or less.
107 Not sure why this needs to be an EAPI item. Hard to see a use case for
108 the variable being available for ebuild usage for it to be necessary to
109 be an EAPI item.
110 By my understanding it is (also?) a required implementation detail to
111 handle pkg_pretend sanely and with minimal time hit.
114 Limit values in $USE to ones in $IUSE:
115 ======================================
116
117 Seems more of a QA test, but forcing it can make it be caught at start.
118 Don't see why it must be an EAPI item. Just vet the tree of (future?)
119 repoman warnings about it and make it happen for
120 all EAPIs. Impact on overlays is minimal because it is a QA error to not
121 define them and they get what they asked for.
122
123 Not strongly opposed to it being in the EAPI.
126 --disable-dependency-tracking:
127 ==============================
128
129 possible breakage of (custom) configure scripts that don't accept
130 unknown arguments. Would be nice to pass that for most packages, but
131 doing it always with econf seems slightly inappropriate, given the
132 above.
133 Don't think this is an item for fast-tracked EAPI-3.
136 utility commands should die by default
137 ======================================
138
139 Would like to see a list of those utility commands that would be made to
140 die by default.
143 ban || ( foo? ( . ) . )
144 =======================
145
146 It is not the business of an EAPI to start disallowing *DEPEND string
147 constructs.
148 There is no useful alternative provided yet to my knowledge and this is
149 really a QA issue, not an EAPI issue.
150 Not convinced on the sub-optimal use case being the only one, either.
151
152 Strongly objecting on the grounds that it is not something that should
153 be an EAPI issue.
156 unpack has to handle more types
157 ===============================
158
159 Would be nice to get a QA warning when unpacking .lzma, .xz, etc that
160 need a build depend for the unpacker and don't have it yet. Then sounds
161 fine.
165 In separate threads:
166 * Slot operator support
167 * dohard being deprecated
170 Did I miss anything?
171 I'm not even sure anymore where to find a list of items that is current
172 for what's on the table for EAPI-3 right now...
175 Mart Raudsepp
176 Gentoo Developer
177 Mail: leio@g.o
178 Weblog: http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/leio