From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About current ppc/ppc64 status
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 13:25:42
1 El sáb, 26-07-2014 a las 08:23 -0400, Rich Freeman escribió:
2 > On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 7:56 AM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I guess we will need to wait for the next Council to officially decide
5 > > to do this as it will be a big change for ppc* users :/ (I remember
6 > > their action was needed for the move to testing of some arches and the
7 > > "package-by-package" proposal for others)
10 > Honestly, it is best if the arch teams take the initiative on these
11 > sorts of things. They're in the best place to figure out what their
12 > users' needs are.
13 >
14 > The Council tends to get involved when the issue escalates to the
15 > point where it becomes a burden on maintainers. It is always better
16 > for the arch teams to manage their own problems.
17 >
18 > So, by all means put it on the Council agenda, but I'd strongly
19 > encourage the ppc arch team to weigh in with their opinion - if we can
20 > form a consensus on the list you don't even need the Council to vote.
21 > Not that we mind - it is just better to solve things collaboratively.
22 >
23 > Rich
26 Sure, at least for ppc teams I guess we could get it discussed by the
27 Council as blueness is in ppc teams per:
28 https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/metastructure/herds/herds.xml#doc_chap89
29
30 Not sure about the other team members :/, I also see no one listed as
31 lead:
32 https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/ppc/
33
34 For the other arch teams I guess I can start a new thread for them (in
35 summary, pointing them to this thread for the idea but suggesting them
36 to create the lists of packages to keep stable as they prefer). You are
37 probably not seeing so much escalation because we end up relying on ago
38 and zlogene to fix that... but that is not a long term solution. I am
39 mostly thinking on ia64 and sparc. Alpha looks to have recently fixed
40 lots of bugs (by klausman I think) and I am unsure about ARM as I guess
41 his problem is different (it's due they needing to test on many
42 different machines to get things stabilized, and that probably needs a
43 different discussion before :/)