From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Possibility of overriding user defined INSTALL_MASK from an ebuild?
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 03:01:19
1 On 02/28/2014 6:14 PM, Duncan wrote:
2 > hasufell posted on Fri, 28 Feb 2014 16:33:43 +0000 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> I remember a bug report where some user was messing with INSTALL_MASK
5 >> and "/usr/share/locale/" and didn't notice that he effectively removed
6 >> all language support... and started filing random bug reports. Took
7 >> quite a while before someone spotted that crap in "emerge --info".
8 >
9 > Interesting. I have /usr/share/locale/ in my INSTALL_MASK precisely in
10 > ordered to remove the language support I don't need anyway, and have had
11 > it there for a very long time, with no visible ill effects. I'd like to
12 > know why someone would put a locale dir in their INSTALL_MASK in the
13 > first place if they weren't purposefully trying to kill unnecessary
14 > locale support...
15 >
16 > (FWIW, I don't use a more general */locale/ mask precisely because I'm
17 > not sure the global effects would be viable, tho it sure would make
18 > things simpler for all the packages with their own locale dirs.)
21 Debian has the "localepurge" package which handles removing undesired
22 languages from packages at install time. Would it be possible to build an
23 extension to portage/paludis/pkgcore that does something similar? Or
24 perhaps as an eclass that can be user-controlled based on settings in make.conf?
25
26 I've long-defined LINGUAS in my make.conf, but I forget what it was actually
27 used for. An eclass/extension could pivot off of a variable like that and
28 remove from ${D} any non-matching locale files before merging into the live
29 filesystem. That should eliminate this particular scenario.
32 Joshua Kinard
33 Gentoo/MIPS
34 kumba@g.o
35 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
36
37 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
38 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
39
40 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic