From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Possibility of overriding user defined INSTALL_MASK from an ebuild?
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 23:15:16
1 hasufell posted on Fri, 28 Feb 2014 16:33:43 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > I remember a bug report where some user was messing with INSTALL_MASK
4 > and "/usr/share/locale/" and didn't notice that he effectively removed
5 > all language support... and started filing random bug reports. Took
6 > quite a while before someone spotted that crap in "emerge --info".
7
8 Interesting. I have /usr/share/locale/ in my INSTALL_MASK precisely in
9 ordered to remove the language support I don't need anyway, and have had
10 it there for a very long time, with no visible ill effects. I'd like to
11 know why someone would put a locale dir in their INSTALL_MASK in the
12 first place if they weren't purposefully trying to kill unnecessary
13 locale support...
14
15 (FWIW, I don't use a more general */locale/ mask precisely because I'm
16 not sure the global effects would be viable, tho it sure would make
17 things simpler for all the packages with their own locale dirs.)
22 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman