From: RB <aoz.syn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 27
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:43:18
1 > My specific interest in it is for having a sane UID/GIDs that are
2 > identical between a set of machines, regardless of the order packages
3 > are emerged in.
4
5 I was initially surprised to see Gentoo didn't have written standards
6 for UID/GID management, but don't see many other distros having one
7 either. Would it be untoward to extend this GLEP to define both
8 default ranges and an internal body to hand them out? I, for one, am
9 aesthetically uncomfortable with processes like mysql and rpm using
10 IDs < 100, but don't have a clean technical argument as to why they
11 shouldn't.
12
13 It would also probably be fruitful to have enewgroup/enewuser check
14 UID_MIN/GID_MIN instead of hard-coding the 101-999 search it does now.
15 --
16 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list