From: "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@×××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] remove system set?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 19:46:39
1 On 8/16/2012 8:26 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
2
3 > Ideally, you'd want as narrow a bootstrapping channel as possible.
4
5 I guess I tend to think that, too, and I'm pretty sure it's correct. But
6 I don't normally think about why, and since you've prompted me to do so,
7 perhaps it's a good moment to interject the fairly obvious, but
8 amusingly contrary notion that there is too much of a good thing to be
9 had in this dimension.
10
11 I suppose the main reason to want a minimal pre-bootstrap tool-chain is
12 to maximize repeatability, minimize platform quirks, maximize
13 time-stability in the face of changing code bases, and so forth.
14
15 Plus... you know... it's a lot more likely to make somebody say "Wow!"
16 the "narrow" way. Which maybe sounds like I'm poking fun, but I do
17 actually think there's some intrinsic value in that.
18
19 However, there /are/ also reasons to make the bootstrap-er machine more
20 fat and complex. Most of them boiling down to there only being so much
21 time in a day.
22
23 Otherwise we would boot-strap from stage -10, consisting only of a sed
24 script and some architecture files to generate crude asm lexers ....
25 :)
26
27 -gmt