From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] remove system set?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 03:27:43
1 On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 7:05 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 [snip]
7 >> It is only useful for situations where people want to do something
8 >> unusual. Some would argue that this is the only situation where
9 >> Gentoo is useful. If I wanted a system just like everybody else's I
10 >> guess I'd run Ubuntu, if not Windows or OSX.
11 >>
12 >> In any case, I do agree that getting there is associated with pain. I
13 >> just like to think that getting there "someday" would be nice. I know
14 >> that a systematic effort exists in mathematics to try to reduce all of
15 >> math to a minimum set of axioms and have everything else be formally
16 >> derived. I consider that a thing of beauty, even if I don't care to
17 >> read the two volumes necessary to get to 1+1=2.
18 >>
19 >> Rich
22 > The other point of the system set is to get rid of the chicken and egg
23 > problem. For example, virtually every package in the system set ships
24 > as a tar, including tar itself. All the compression utilities ship as
25 > tars, which need to be installed to build tar (think -z, -j, -J). You
26 > need a standard C library to run virtually everything including tar,
27 > which you need to extract your standard C sources. The list goes on.
28
29 Bootstrapping is an inherently curious problem. Most systems are built
30 upon the systems they themselves build, but getting to that
31 self-hosting state always requires some unclean solution. (E.g. the
32 first C compiler couldn't have been written in C. The first x86
33 assembler wouldn't have been written in x86 assembler. Etc.)
34
35 Ideally, you'd want as narrow a bootstrapping channel as possible.
36 Assuming things start off statically linked, what's the sequence for
37 going from an empty chroot to stage 1, 2, 3...? What are the starting
38 conditions?
42 :wq