From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Request for Permission
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:48:25
1 Rick Sivernell <res005ru@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > I am operating a small IT service organization and I would like to put
3 > a link to Gentoo on my site. My ad:
4 [snip]
5 > If there is a standard ad that you would prefer, I will use it. This
6 > is a service for my clients use and reference. If you allow my listing
7 > your site, please extend your permission.
8
9 If I'm out of line here, somebody slap me.
10
11 That being said, You don't really need permission to link to to the
12 Gentoo website. If you really want to be anal-retentive about being
13 letter-perfect to the intellectual property laws, swift maintains a
14 standard boilerplate at <http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/name-logo.xml>.
15 Therein, you shall find all the dry details about what our legal system
16 considers appropriate use.
17
18 On the other hand, if you don't care a whit about all that rubbish, I
19 don't think anybody at Gentoo will object to that blurb you quoted. In
20 any case, I suspect that tacking &trade; symbols on the end of every
21 mention of Gentoo will suffice to keep you clean.
22
23 IANAL. I am probably wrong in many strange and dangerous ways. Use your
24 own Judgment, Luke.
27 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
28 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
29 --Ghost in the Shell