From: Graham Murray <graham@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 2 policy for portage tree
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 08:55:29
1 "Robert R. Russell" <nahoy_kbiki@××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > 3) perform the bugfix with a version bump and upgrade to the latest EAPI
4 > Options 1 and 2 are how most updates are done, the user can mask the latest
5 > version or upgrade. Option 3 allows the user to continue using the previous
6 > version while they decide to update to a portage version that supports the
7 > new EAPI.
8 >
9 > I would prefer that option 3 be made policy because I run several ~arch
10 > packages that either don't have a stable version (kradio) or have a feature
11 > that I need (gentoo-sources), and will not be pushed to stable immediately
12 > for various reasons from lack of maintainer time to everybody says it
13 > conflicts with major pieces of the system (Firefox 3, 64 bit netscape-flash,
14 > and xorg).
15
16 Another reason for preferring option 3 for bug fix (but not for
17 'cosmetic' changes or ones which prevent some users from installing the
18 package) is that (~arch) users will already have the pre-bug fixed
19 version installed and portage will not install the bug fix unless either
20 the version is bumped or USE flags have changed and the --newuse emerge
21 option is used.