From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Classes, a possible new method of spreading information
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 07:27:38
1 R Hill posted <di7edr$otf$1@×××××××××.org>, excerpted below, on Fri, 07
2 Oct 2005 21:28:58 -0600:
3
4 > Dan Meltzer wrote:
5 >>
6 >> Tonight, hanging out in #gentoo, I observed a huge amount of incorrect
7 >> information once again.. tonight about profiles, cascading and all
8 >> that jazz, which to be honest is fairly undocumented. I decided to
9 >> give a miniclass on how it worked. ferringb and antarus sat in, and
10 >> it was just an off the cuff information/QA session.
11 >>
12 >> Okay, so that worked, but then I got to thinking, why not do these
13 >> fairly regularly? []
14 >>
15 >> Developer A decides to speak about a specific aspect of portage, the
16 >> discussion is announced on lists and in gwn a week or so in advance.
17 >> The discussion could take place in a channel such as #gentoo-class,
18 >> and logged. The developer would cover it as he saw fit, and then have
19 >> a Q/A period after. The entire class is logged, and added to the
20 >> website on a publically accessible page. If the docs team thinks its
21 >> a useful subject, they could translate into a more formal page, and
22 >> use the logs for reference, if not, it would still be availible
23 >> information to anyone wishing to read it.
24 >>
25 >> My thoughts are this would be best suited to Gentoo-specific things,
26 >> portage, gentoo's infrastructure, baselayout, [but it could be on
27 >> anything a dev wished].
28 >
29 > I think quick-basics tutorials like this would be a great addition to
30 > GWN, but if the IRC Q&A format works then I say go for it.
31
32 What about asking in GWN for classes the users would like? Start a
33 question submission que, then have the GWN editors select the common ones
34 they like and ask appropriate devs if they want to do a presentation.
35
36 Depending on interest, a few weeks after the original request for class
37 requests, they could start, once a week or once a month. Announce the
38 subject a week ahead, then if a dev wants to have the original class in
39 IRC, do so, or he can just create a presentation to be featured in GWN.
40 If it's originally on IRC, the (cleaned up/edited) log could be featured
41 in GWN that way as well.
42
43 In either case, the initial class/tutorial would be mostly
44 non-interactive, as presented in the GWN writeup. However, when
45 presented, an announcement would be made as to a date/time for a Q/A
46 session on IRC, a few days later. Questions could be submitted thru a
47 link (email or whatever) for a couple days after the GWN presentation as
48 well, with selected submissions covered in the IRC session as well. Then
49 the IRC session would be posted the following week. (Thus, original
50 tutorial/presentation one week, a couple days for Q submissions b4 the
51 scheduled IRC Q/A session (and a day or two to go over them, if desired,
52 depending on how the scheduling and deadlines are worked out), then a
53 couple days to clean the log from it up and address any other submitted
54 questions if desired, for the GWN followup coverage a week after the
55 initial presentation.)
56
57 This would cover the timing issue of a scheduled IRC session, plus have
58 the advantage of multi-format, for those who don't do IRC, plus give folks
59 a couple days to come up with questions after the original presentation.
60 The initial presentation probably wouldn't need IRC's interactivity
61 anyway, but it would preserve that element in the QA session. Coverage
62 would be far wider as well, given the GWN coverage in all its forms (LWN
63 coverage, Gentoo site front page billing, the mailing list, in addition to
64 any proposed "class" site).
65
66 Subject known ahead, original lecture, Q/A and interactive lab session
67 a few days later, review and followup a few days after that at the next
68 lecture period, similar to a Uni class with a weekly lecture and separate
69 lab, except that it would bypass the scheduling difficulties of an global
70 internet-wide "university".
75 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
76 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
80 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list