From: R Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Classes, a possible new method of spreading information
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 03:33:01
1 Dan Meltzer wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I am a frequenter of #gentoo-*, as many of you know :)
5 >
6 > Tonight, hanging out in #gentoo, I observed a huge amount of incorrect
7 > information once again.. tonight about profiles, cascading and all
8 > that jazz, which to be honest is fairly undocumented. I decided to
9 > give a miniclass on how it worked. ferringb and antarus sat in, and
10 > it was just an off the cuff information/QA session.
11 >
12 > Okay, so that worked, but then I got to thinking, why not do these
13 > fairly regularly? I do not profess to know enough to hold them about
14 > a large amount of topics, but I think this could surely supplant the
15 > current documentation process. Here is basic rundown and example.
16 >
17 > Developer A decides to speak about a specific aspect of portage, the
18 > discussion is announced on lists and in gwn a week or so in advance.
19 > The discussion could take place in a channel such as #gentoo-class,
20 > and logged. The developer would cover it as he saw fit, and then have
21 > a Q/A period after. The entire class is logged, and added to the
22 > website on a publically accessible page. If the docs team thinks its
23 > a useful subject, they could translate into a more formal page, and
24 > use the logs for reference, if not, it would still be availible
25 > information to anyone wishing to read it.
26 >
27 > My thoughts are this would be best suited to Gentoo-specific things,
28 > portage, gentoo's infrastructure, baselayout, anything else
29 > ideosynconatic (sp?). But, I suppose it could be on anything if the
30 > developer so wished.
31 >
32 > Ideas? thoughts? comments?
33 >
34 > Lets hear em :)
35
36 I think quick-basics tutorials like this would be a great addition to
37 GWN, but if the IRC Q&A format works then I say go for it.
38
39 --de.
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list