From: Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Classes, a possible new method of spreading information
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 04:04:01
1 R Hill wrote:
2 > Dan Meltzer wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hello,
5 >>
6 >> I am a frequenter of #gentoo-*, as many of you know :)
7 >>
8 >> Tonight, hanging out in #gentoo, I observed a huge amount of incorrect
9 >> information once again.. tonight about profiles, cascading and all
10 >> that jazz, which to be honest is fairly undocumented. I decided to
11 >> give a miniclass on how it worked. ferringb and antarus sat in, and
12 >> it was just an off the cuff information/QA session.
13 >>
14 >> Okay, so that worked, but then I got to thinking, why not do these
15 >> fairly regularly? I do not profess to know enough to hold them about
16 >> a large amount of topics, but I think this could surely supplant the
17 >> current documentation process. Here is basic rundown and example.
18 >>
19 >> Developer A decides to speak about a specific aspect of portage, the
20 >> discussion is announced on lists and in gwn a week or so in advance.
21 >> The discussion could take place in a channel such as #gentoo-class,
22 >> and logged. The developer would cover it as he saw fit, and then have
23 >> a Q/A period after. The entire class is logged, and added to the
24 >> website on a publically accessible page. If the docs team thinks its
25 >> a useful subject, they could translate into a more formal page, and
26 >> use the logs for reference, if not, it would still be availible
27 >> information to anyone wishing to read it.
28 >>
29 >> My thoughts are this would be best suited to Gentoo-specific things,
30 >> portage, gentoo's infrastructure, baselayout, anything else
31 >> ideosynconatic (sp?). But, I suppose it could be on anything if the
32 >> developer so wished.
33 >>
34 >> Ideas? thoughts? comments?
35 >>
36 >> Lets hear em :)
39 > I think quick-basics tutorials like this would be a great addition to
40 > GWN, but if the IRC Q&A format works then I say go for it.
43 The problem with tutorials is you get a limited view of the one or two
44 people writing it. At least with the IRC Q&A you get some "real world"
45 questions. Granted, I wasn't too impressed with the first gentoo-class
46 that was held, but it was horribly impromptu and there were only 7 people ;)
47
48 Alec Warner (Antarus)
49 --
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list