From: Dan Meltzer <parallelgrapefruit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Classes, a possible new method of spreading information
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 01:23:25
1 Hello,
2
3 I am a frequenter of #gentoo-*, as many of you know :)
4
5 Tonight, hanging out in #gentoo, I observed a huge amount of incorrect
6 information once again.. tonight about profiles, cascading and all
7 that jazz, which to be honest is fairly undocumented. I decided to
8 give a miniclass on how it worked. ferringb and antarus sat in, and
9 it was just an off the cuff information/QA session.
10
11 Okay, so that worked, but then I got to thinking, why not do these
12 fairly regularly? I do not profess to know enough to hold them about
13 a large amount of topics, but I think this could surely supplant the
14 current documentation process. Here is basic rundown and example.
15
16 Developer A decides to speak about a specific aspect of portage, the
17 discussion is announced on lists and in gwn a week or so in advance.
18 The discussion could take place in a channel such as #gentoo-class,
19 and logged. The developer would cover it as he saw fit, and then have
20 a Q/A period after. The entire class is logged, and added to the
21 website on a publically accessible page. If the docs team thinks its
22 a useful subject, they could translate into a more formal page, and
23 use the logs for reference, if not, it would still be availible
24 information to anyone wishing to read it.
25
26 My thoughts are this would be best suited to Gentoo-specific things,
27 portage, gentoo's infrastructure, baselayout, anything else
28 ideosynconatic (sp?). But, I suppose it could be on anything if the
29 developer so wished.
30
31 Ideas? thoughts? comments?
32