From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dependencies that're available at pkg_*inst
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:57:37
1 On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:38:06 +0200
2 "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o> wrote:
3 > Every package dependency in DEPEND is installed and usable before
4 > src_unpack starts, right? So is the question here whether or not they
5 > can be uninstalled right before pkg_{pre,post}inst starts?
6
7 If we're using binaries, DEPEND is usually ignored.
8
9 > I don't know what the general use of pkg_preinst is, but in
10 > pkg_postinst the package itself should be runnable, so its RDEPENDS
11 > should be installed and usable at this point. So perhaps we should
12 > define that "usable" means "each of its RDEPENDs is installed and has
13 > had its pkg_postinst function run". The recursion of that definition
14 > then comes from the requirement that RDEPENDs should be usable before
15 > pkg_postinst starts running.
16
17 No good. That prevents RDEPEND <-> RDEPEND cycles from being solved,
18 and the package manager has to be able to solve that.
19
20 > If only one of those packages has a pkg_postinst then it is still
21 > solvable. If they both have a pkg_postinst then one of those is
22 > probably not essential for the actual usability of the package and
23 > should be removed. A final possibility is that the pkg_postinsts are
24 > both necessary for a fully functional package but not for the
25 > functionality used in the other pkg_postinst. If this is the case,
26 > then perhaps we should specify deps according to which ebuild phase
27 > they are necessary for?
28
29 Not with current EAPIs we can't.
30
31 > SRC_UNPACK_DEP="app-arch/unzip"
32 > SRC_COMPILE_DEP="dev-scheme/bigloo"
33 > SRC_INSTALL_DEP=""
34
35 Labels are a cleaner solution to this. But again, we're discussing
36 current EAPIs here.
39 Ciaran McCreesh