From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dependencies that're available at pkg_*inst
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:43:50
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:38:06 +0200
4 > "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o> wrote:
5 >> I don't know what the general use of pkg_preinst is, but in
6 >> pkg_postinst the package itself should be runnable, so its RDEPENDS
7 >> should be installed and usable at this point. So perhaps we should
8 >> define that "usable" means "each of its RDEPENDs is installed and has
9 >> had its pkg_postinst function run". The recursion of that definition
10 >> then comes from the requirement that RDEPENDs should be usable before
11 >> pkg_postinst starts running.
12 >
13 > No good. That prevents RDEPEND <-> RDEPEND cycles from being solved,
14 > and the package manager has to be able to solve that.
15 >
16 Use PDEPEND.
17
18 >> SRC_UNPACK_DEP="app-arch/unzip"
19 >> SRC_COMPILE_DEP="dev-scheme/bigloo"
20 >> SRC_INSTALL_DEP=""
21 >
22 > Labels are a cleaner solution to this. But again, we're discussing
23 > current EAPIs here.
24 >
25 While I like labels they need to be discussed more on-list as well as on
26 bugzilla (it's not reasonable for you simply to advertise them and then
27 close down discussion.) For instance, there is no reason everything has to
28 be loaded into just one extant metadatum, not do they preclude new metadata
29 (such as a SRC_DEP here.)
33 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list