From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Categories for GUI stuff x11 and wayland
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 11:13:53
1 Kent Fredric posted on Mon, 04 Sep 2017 17:48:40 +1200 as excerpted:
2
3 > Right, there's going to be plenty of examples of things that aren't
4 > portable, and will need to stay in perpetuity in x11-* . x11-drivers
5 > are probably a good example. Though I'm in no hurry to deprecate X11,
6 > wayland will take even longer than systemd for me to go "Ok, yes, now
7 > we should switch everyone to this"
8
9 Indeed. Even after the general gui-provider can be assumed to be wayland
10 in much the same was as it has been X for decades now, rootless/nested X
11 will be around for many years/decades, for much the same reason that I'm
12 still using dosbox to effectively provide "nested DOS" for that single
13 legacy/proprietary game[1] I still play somewhat frequently. Some
14 things, in particular X-based proprietary apps such as but not limited to
15 games, are unlikely to ever be ported, so those continuing to find a use
16 for them will continue to have a use for X, almost certainly eventually
17 in nested and ultimately emulated form, much as I do with that game and
18 dosbox.
19
20 > Yeah. At this point there's not much value in a switch. And I'm not
21 > entirely happy with either "gui-" or "desktop-". "x11-" is, for all its
22 > warts, more useful than either of those still.
23 >
24 > I'm tempted to suggest something like "ux-", which conceptually
25 > encompasses GUI/UI/Display concerns, and having an "x" gives a nod to
26 > its legacy as being "x" without it being part of the definition :)
27
28 I actually really like the ux-* idea. So much so I wish I'd thought of
29 it. =:^) It doesn't come across as nearly as "tired and worn out" as
30 "gui-*" does, here (tho I already see a reply from someone else with the
31 opposite reaction, favoring desktop-* over ux-*).
32
33 ---
34 [1] Dosbox game: Master of Orion, original, (c) 1993 updated copy.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman