From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About libpng-1.4 handling
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 17:25:26
1 On 05/10/2010 08:11 PM, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
2 > Hello guys,
3 >
4 > as I'm sure some of you already experimented, the libpng upgrade didn't
5 > exactly went smoothly on my chroots. Reason seems to be that libpng
6 > usage is odd, it provides both libpng14.* and libpng.* files. Some
7 > packages likes to use versioned libs while some other don't and it seems
8 > to lead to giant mess in *.la files (for example).
9
10 Should we advise users to do something like:
11
12 find /usr/lib -name '*.la' | xargs sed -i -e '/^dep/s:-lpng12:-lpng14:'
13
14 ( Replace lib with lib64 on multilib system. )
17 > My question are:
18 > * is there a draft news item as a simple revdep-rebuild or portage
19 > preserved-libs feature doesn't cut it (for good reasons) that I could
20 > test ?
21
22 -lpng12 vs. -lpng14 I guess, or then my big blockers in libpng ebuilds
23 messed it up... those will go away soon, if arch's are fast enough with
24 helping with the stable bug.
25
26 > * what is the recommended way to link to libpng (versioned lib or not)
27 > * corollary to previous question, should we enforce link to versioned
28 > lib only ?
31 You get correct lib to link from `pkg-config --libs libpng` or if you
32 need to avoid pkg-config, then e.g. AC_CHECK_LIB for unversioned png.
33
34 Funny enough,
35
36 I've also seen this done: libpng14 libpng12 libpng13 libpng
37
38 In Cairo's configure. :)
39
40 libpng13 for windows foo