From: antitux@netscape.com (John Dee)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Netscape Packages
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:26:14
1 WHOA!!
2 okay, we're going off on a tangent here.
3 I don't want to make netscape 6 the DEFAULT BROWSER,
4 I want to make netscpae 6.2.2 the DEFAULT BROWSER FOR NETSCAPE PRODUCTS.
5 hence, if you did `emerge netscape`, or `emerge netscape-browser` it'd
6 install netscape 6.2.2.
7
8 I've talked to jnelson on irc.
9 We pretty much came to the same conclusion that it's not that bad of an
10 idea, and extremely possible.
11 What would happen, is that netscape communicator 4.x would have the
12 binary renamed netscape-communicator
13 while netscape navigator 4.x would be renamed netscape-navigator
14 then when you typed `netscape`, the browser that came up would be
15 netscape 6.2.2.
16 The only problem is the installer. It's evil. There's really no way to
17 work around it though.
18 about the only thing you can pull out and install manually (non-gui) is
19 the JRE.
20 I by no means want to replace konqueror, or mozilla, or galeon, or light
21 (my personal favorite browser).
22 is this clearer?
23
24 Quite frankly, I don't care what browser you use. I wish there were a
25 hundred browsers out there, and they were all standards compliant.
26 Unfortunately, in the real world, that's not gonna happen.
29 Thilo Bangert wrote:
30
31 (*SNIP*)
32 > huh - am i awaking from a dream?
33 > i thought this is what portage is all about - there is no default.
34 >
35 > gees, all users even have to decide what system logger they'll use -
36 > i'm pretty confident they can figure out this one too
37 >
38 > now, _my_ default browser would be konqueror...
39 >
40 > i have nothing against a ns6 ebuild (why would i) - but talking
41 > about "default" in this contenxt seems superflous...
42 >
43 > please correct me if i am mistaken
46 >>jim
49 > regards