From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: cmake + ninja vs autotools
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 00:29:19
1 William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > I cannot understand why systems get faster, yet configure seems to
3 > take the same amount of time and is super slow.
4
5 The generated configure scripts can be fork intensive, which is still
6 fairly expensive.
7
8 But I think the problem is more with poorly written configure source,
9 which is the argument about mastering..
12 > On small projects configure can take longer than compile... Configure
13 > is my main gripe against make/autotools. Plus all the other stuff,
14 > auto-reconf, autogen, etc.
15
16 configure having zero dependencies is the killer feature compared
17 to all other options. The tight integration between configure and
18 cross-toolchains is also a very strong point.
21 > The larger the project, the slower configure can be.
22
23 Doesn't have to be, but it's easy to write poor configure source and
24 difficult to write good source.
27 //Peter