From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: cmake + ninja vs autotools
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 22:46:40
1 On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 16:36:07 +0000
2 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
3 >
4 > It's arguably a bug that a projects gets huge.
5
6 Sometimes huge projects are split into many internally. Imagine this
7 was using autotools. I doubt it could use a master configure for all
8 sub projects, but maybe.
9 https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans
10
11 > The simplicity of configure+make is difficult to beat, but I also
12 > agree that it's difficult or at least tedious to master autotools.
13
14 The syntax is nasty, the files get big quick. But that is not my main
15 gripe with what I call as a suite autotools. Make is not so much of an
16 issue, but configure I absolutely hate. I cannot understand why
17 systems get faster, yet configure seems to take the same amount of time
18 and is super slow.
19
20 On small projects configure can take longer than compile... Configure
21 is my main gripe against make/autotools. Plus all the other stuff,
22 auto-reconf, autogen, etc.
23
24 > That is arguably reason enough to choose meson, but I think I will
25 > stay with autotools for a while..
26
27 Its likely to remain for sometime. I am not on the meson bandwagon
28 entirely as I like cmake+cpack. But I am surprised how many projects
29 are migrating to meson. Seems to be the current trend, and a
30 considerable amount moving to meson.
31
32 Meson vs cmake configure is not that big of a difference. maybe like
33 make vs ninja. But Meson or Cmake vs configure, HUGE difference...
34 The larger the project, the slower configure can be.
37 William L. Thomson Jr.