From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: cmake + ninja vs autotools
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 16:44:47
1 Martin Vaeth wrote:
2 > > 1. Doing a full clean build [..] the speed of make or ninja is hugely
3 > > offset by the compilation speed, and their overhead is negligible.
4 >
5 > It depends on the definition of negligible. For huge projects like
6 > boost or chromium it is several minutes
7
8 It's arguably a bug that a projects gets huge.
9
10 The simplicity of configure+make is difficult to beat, but I also
11 agree that it's difficult or at least tedious to master autotools.
12
13 That is arguably reason enough to choose meson, but I think I will
14 stay with autotools for a while..
17 //Peter