From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] lastrite media-libs/libdts
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:09:46
1 On Wednesday 16 January 2008, Peter Volkov wrote:
2 > В Пнд, 14/01/2008 в 02:10 +0200, Petteri Räty пишет:
3 > > Mike Frysinger kirjoitti:
4 > > > On Sunday 13 January 2008, Petteri Räty wrote:
5 > > >> Peter Volkov kirjoitti:
6 > > >>> Also why not just do package move for libdts to avoid manual unmerge
7 > > >>> libdts?
8 > > >>
9 > > >> Package moves don't work very well if you move an existing package to
10 > > >> another.
11 > > >
12 > > > unless they had a block in place ...
13 > >
14 > > When you move a package over an another the files don't change. So
15 > > Portage thinks you have libdca installed but the files are from libdts.
16 > > So every depending on libdca would have to have their atoms in such a
17 > > way that doesn't match libdts existing versions. Please correct me if I
18 > > am wrong.
19 >
20 > Thank you, now I see. And if I understood correctly to fix atoms you
21 > just have to add >=media-libs/libdca-0.0.5 into DEPEND of packages which
22 > depend only on libdca. After this package move will work as it should.
23 > Did I miss anything?
24 >
25 > Mike, how blocks help here?
26
27 if two packages provide the same binary and they blocked each other, a move
28 would be doable as it would be impossible for the two packages to be
29 installed simultaneously. but as Petteri points out, libdca/libdts dont
30 provide the same SONAME so a package move wouldnt be possible.
31 -mike