From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] implementation details for GLEP 41
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 00:18:00
1 Lares Moreau wrote:
2
3 > I personally do not need Revision histories, I can't speak for other
4 > ATs. Rsync with 30min delay is a noted improvement over the standard
5 > rsync policy. Does this also allow us to sync to main rotation mirroes
6 > is that already overstressed? I ask because IIRC it may take ~30min for
7 > all the mirrors to sync up to the 'Latest' revision, therefore the sync
8 > that I do _may_ be up to 60min old (worstcase). so main rotation mirror
9 > access would be nice.
10
11 They aren't overstressed. The delay is just a function of the
12 implementation we have. Now, to make this work better, we could do a
13 direct sync again cvs with the --exclude-cvs option. The down side of
14 this is that it doesn't include any metadata or glsa files. Basically,
15 any of the regen process we run on the public tree wouldn't be done if
16 we did the direct rsync. If files are all you need, then this approach
17 would probably be the best. I can see problems using the current rsync
18 mirrors because of the lag time.
19
20 Reason being, there's going to be at least a 25-55 minute delay from
21 when a developer commits something and the time it hits a mirror on
22 rsync.g.o. The flow works as this:
23
24 1) CVS is updated/regen'd at :05/:35 on the master box
25 2) rsync.g.o syncs at :00/:30
26
27 So, if I commit something at say :07, users won't see that file until
28 the next :00 rsync from the mirrors. But, if I committed something at
29 :01, the user will see it in 29 minutes. If we have a dedicated box that
30 does a direct sync, we can reduce that time to 30min. Is that needed, or
31 is the 25-55 minute lag good enough?
34 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
35 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
36
37 ---
38 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
39 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
40
41 ramereth/irc.freenode.net