From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 14:52:23
1 On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 9:05 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 3:44 AM, Andreas K. Huettel <
6 > dilfridge@g.o>
7 > > wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >> Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017, 01:22:44 CEST schrieb Peter Stuge:
10 > >> >
11 > >> > I hold a perhaps radical view: I would like to simply remove stable.
12 > >> >
13 > >> > I continue to feel that maintaining two worlds (stable+unstable)
14 > >> > carries with it an unneccessary cost.
15 > >> >
16 > >>
17 > >> That's not feasible. It would kill off any semi-professional or
18 > >> professional
19 > >> Gentoo use, where a minimum of stability is required.
22 > > So my argument (for years) has been that this is the right thing all
23 > along.
24 > >
25 > > If people want a stable Gentoo, fork it and maintain it downstream of the
26 > > rambunctious rolling distro.
29 > What is the difference between forking the repository, and just
30 > maintaining a keyword inside the same repository, besides the former
31 > being easier to integrate into QA/etc?
34 > People who are interested in working on stable already do so, and
35 > people who are not for the most part shouldn't be bothered by it. In
36 > the cases where stable has caused issues with maintainers the council
37 > has generally dropped arches from stable support so that repoman won't
38 > complain when packages are removed.
41 Sorry, to be clear the conclusion I was hoping to draw is that one has 2
42 repos instead of 1.
43
44 1) Rolling.
45 2) Stable.
46
47 Rolling is typical ~arch Gentoo. People in rolling can do whatever they
48 want; they can't affect stable at all.
49
50 Stable is an entirely separate repo, a fork, where CPVs are pulled from
51 Rolling into Stable. If Stable wants to keep a gnarly old version of some
52 package around; great! But the rolling people don't have to care.
56 > I won't say that having stable costs us nothing, but I think the cost
57 > is pretty low. Asking people who want stable to leave isn't going to
58 > make things any better.
61 Nothing stops Gentoo (the organization / community) from housing the above
62 scheme in one organization. I mean, nothing but political will right? :)
63
64 -A
68 > --
69 > Rich