From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 16:44:58
1 On pon, 2017-07-31 at 10:52 -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 9:05 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 3:44 AM, Andreas K. Huettel <
7 > >
8 > > dilfridge@g.o>
9 > > > wrote:
10 > > > >
11 > > > > Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017, 01:22:44 CEST schrieb Peter Stuge:
12 > > > > >
13 > > > > > I hold a perhaps radical view: I would like to simply remove stable.
14 > > > > >
15 > > > > > I continue to feel that maintaining two worlds (stable+unstable)
16 > > > > > carries with it an unneccessary cost.
17 > > > > >
18 > > > >
19 > > > > That's not feasible. It would kill off any semi-professional or
20 > > > > professional
21 > > > > Gentoo use, where a minimum of stability is required.
22 > > >
23 > > >
24 > > > So my argument (for years) has been that this is the right thing all
25 > >
26 > > along.
27 > > >
28 > > > If people want a stable Gentoo, fork it and maintain it downstream of the
29 > > > rambunctious rolling distro.
30 > > >
31 > >
32 > > What is the difference between forking the repository, and just
33 > > maintaining a keyword inside the same repository, besides the former
34 > > being easier to integrate into QA/etc?
35 > >
36 > > People who are interested in working on stable already do so, and
37 > > people who are not for the most part shouldn't be bothered by it. In
38 > > the cases where stable has caused issues with maintainers the council
39 > > has generally dropped arches from stable support so that repoman won't
40 > > complain when packages are removed.
43 > Sorry, to be clear the conclusion I was hoping to draw is that one has 2
44 > repos instead of 1.
45 >
46 > 1) Rolling.
47 > 2) Stable.
48 >
49 > Rolling is typical ~arch Gentoo. People in rolling can do whatever they
50 > want; they can't affect stable at all.
51 >
52 > Stable is an entirely separate repo, a fork, where CPVs are pulled from
53 > Rolling into Stable. If Stable wants to keep a gnarly old version of some
54 > package around; great! But the rolling people don't have to care.
55
56 I was considering this but it won't work for users who mix stable
57 and ~arch. While we don't officially support this, they're a significant
58 portion of our user base and they usually have good reasons for doing
59 that.
62 Best regards,
63 Michał Górny