From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: webdav global use flag and default
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:07:48
1 Danny van Dyk wrote:
2 > 5 packages, and only one has nowebdav, and you want to make it a default
3 > USE flag? I strongly disagree here. Make it a plain useflag and notify
4 > users of subversion that the behaviour changed. Much better than
5 > informing users of the other 4 packages that the behaviour changed.
6
7 We have no statistics on this so I cannot prove but I can argue that
8 subversion is used most of all 4 packages. And I can also argue that having
9 webdav on by default will not cause any harm for the other packages,
10 because it just adds and does not remove functionality. It does no harm.
11 Thus having users informed is not crucial here
12
13 However doing the change in subversion will break current useage cases by
14 reducing functionality. Most users do not read elog messages and just will
15 get broken.
16
17 I see your problem and maybe there are ways of solving the problem:
18 - change all other 4 useflags to nowebdav, then make the webdav useflag
19 default, then change them all back to webdav. Maybe you are more happy with
20 such a gradual change.
21
22 - leave everything as is: it does work but I do not particularly like the
23 nowebdav useflag tho it is better than having subversion broken.
24
25 Best regards,
26 Stefan
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list