From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flags dri, cups, pppd
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 21:58:25
1 On Sat, 2013-01-19 at 21:04 +0000, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 03:53:25PM -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 3:18 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > I'm not sure whether we need to keep cups at all.
5 > > > I haven't printed anything from my personal PC or laptop in years.
6 > > Please continue to support Cups.
9 > We're only discussing whether or not to have the `cups' USE flag in
10 > the base profile, not the package itself.
11 >
12 > I don't believe we need it in the base profile. The only people who
13 > would enable it are those that are setting up a print server or those
14 > who are setting up a desktop, in which case they would want to use the
15 > desktop profile.
18 +1 for moving it to desktop
21 To further add to this bikeshed! Something no-one has added so far is
22 that there is a very easy to use tool to use when you change profiles.
23
24 enalyze rebuild use
25
26 It is part of gentoolkit. I first created it to help fix a new users
27 bungled install. But it works perfect for changing profiles with
28 different use flag defaults. In order to keep your installed packages
29 settings the same, run this immediately after the change, look over
30 and/or edit the file created to your liking, then replace the existing
31 pacakage.use
32
33 PROBLEM SOLVED!
34
35 NO default USE flag changes will break your system.
36
37 Same can be done for keyword changes done in profiles
38
39 enalyze rebuild keywords
40
41 So, for the new 13.0 profiles, please add this to the recommended steps
42 for migrating profiles. It should greatly reduce the number of bugs and
43 forum threads complaining about breakage.
44
45 Yeah, I know, there will still be some that don't read instructions and
46 continue to break their shit and complain to us it's our fault.
47 --
48 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>