From: "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flags dri, cups, pppd
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 21:04:30
1 On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 03:53:25PM -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 3:18 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3 > > I'm not sure whether we need to keep cups at all.
4 > > I haven't printed anything from my personal PC or laptop in years.
5 >
6 > As a user, I'ld say this wb a very unpopular move with some of us.
7 > I rarely use my 2nd-hand 1995 printer, but sometimes it is essential :
8 > eg I now need to print letters to 2 friends abroad who don't have e-mail
9 > & occasionally I need to print forms downloaded from the Internet
10 > for tax purposes or to get mail-in refunds on things I bought.
11 > I don't have access to an office printer
12 > & when last asked, my neighbour reported his printer "broken".
13 >
14 > Please continue to support Cups.
17 We're only discussing whether or not to have the `cups' USE flag in
18 the base profile, not the package itself.
19
20 I don't believe we need it in the base profile. The only people who
21 would enable it are those that are setting up a print server or those
22 who are setting up a desktop, in which case they would want to use the
23 desktop profile.
26 Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
27 Gentoo Linux Developer
28 Email : titanofold@g.o
29 GnuPG FP : 2C00 7719 4F85 FB07 A49C 0E31 5713 AA03 D1BB FDA0
30 GnuPG ID : D1BBFDA0