From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
Cc: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>, Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stuff that makes people mad
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:32:19
1 On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 09:19, John Nilsson wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 08:33, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > Vague discussions don't usually end up anywhere productive, but just
4 > > like the policy of the linux-kernel mailing list, patches and good
5 > > changes are a lot more likely to be accepted, providing there is
6 > > somebody willing and able to maintain them (that's the reason a lot of
7 > > new ebuilds aren't being accepted right now, as we just don't have
8 > > enough manpower).
9 >
10 > Can we remove the NEED for a maintainer?
11
12 Definitely not. If we were to do something so asinine, we would end up
13 with packages that are grossly out of date with no hope of them ever
14 being updated. There would also be nobody responsible for that ebuild,
15 so there would be nobody liable if something were to go wrong with it.
16 All in all, it is a very bad idea.
17
18 Also, remember that there is *NOTHING* stopping you from creating your
19 own nice little site, let's call it gentoo-users.somedomain.org, where
20 you post ebuilds submitted by users but not accepted into the main
21 portage tree for various reasons.
22
23 The guys over at breakmygentoo are a fine example. There are plenty of
24 developers that don't like it, and plenty then do, but all in all, it is
25 the users that matter. Simply *because* Gentoo is so community-driven,
26 can a site like BMG thrive so well. If you don't like what we're doing,
27 submit to BMG... or make your own site. It's all up to you on what you
28 do.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Developer
33 Games/LiveCD Teams