From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 03:30:50
1 On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 09:47:05PM -0500, Wyatt Epp wrote:
2 > On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 7:47 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Patrick thinks that all configuration files belong in /etc, and what has
5 > > happened is, some packages are placing default configuration
6 > > files in /lib or /usr/lib and allowing them to be overridden by files
7 > > with the exact same names and paths in /etc. His argument is that only
8 > > libraries belong in /lib or /usr/lib.
9 > >
10 > I didn't get that vibe from what was quoted in OP. Maybe there's
11 > something missing. But let's be real here: if I install something and
12 > want to configure its system-wide bits, the first place I go is ALWAYS
13 > /etc. When I don't find it there, with the rest of the system config
14 > files, my day gets a little worse and I lose a bit of time trying to
15 > interrogate a search engine for the answer. And that's annoying.
16 > That sucks.
17
18 This hasn't changed.
19 The configuration files these packages are putting in /lib are not
20 meant to be edited; they are the package provided defaults. If you want
21 to override one of them, you do that in a file with the same path and
22 name in /etc, like I mentioned in another message in this thread.
23
24 William