From: Wyatt Epp <wyatt.epp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 02:47:36
1 On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 7:47 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Patrick thinks that all configuration files belong in /etc, and what has
4 > happened is, some packages are placing default configuration
5 > files in /lib or /usr/lib and allowing them to be overridden by files
6 > with the exact same names and paths in /etc. His argument is that only
7 > libraries belong in /lib or /usr/lib.
8 >
9 I didn't get that vibe from what was quoted in OP. Maybe there's
10 something missing. But let's be real here: if I install something and
11 want to configure its system-wide bits, the first place I go is ALWAYS
12 /etc. When I don't find it there, with the rest of the system config
13 files, my day gets a little worse and I lose a bit of time trying to
14 interrogate a search engine for the answer. And that's annoying.
15 That sucks.
16
17 I don't particularly care about the history, or the politics, or what
18 upstreams think they have the right to decide for me. Sure, it might
19 be "only" convention, but even then it's still valuable by merit of
20 allowing you to make (often correct) predictions about where to
21 configure your shiny new daemon and by reducing cognitive load (no
22 need to remember that "Okay, so bonehead has its config in
23 /usr/lib/bone/head/ and sillyd has it's config in /var/silly/comedy/,
24 and...where was riced.conf, again?").
25
26 > I disagree with this based on understanding how the config system in
27 > these packages works. Also, I don't think a distro should do this type of
28 > patching if the patches are not accepted upstream.
29 >
30 I somehow get the sense that you're talking about specific packages,
31 but more generally: If there's some legitimate reason the config can't
32 go where configs...go (like the package hardcoding the path to the
33 config without any overrides possible (which sounds absolutely
34 moronic, IMO. What if you want to temporarily test a new config?))
35 then sure, let it live where it lives. But for stuff where they're
36 already able to be overridden by a version in /etc anyway? I don't
37 think "if users are supposed to be able to modify it, the config
38 should be /etc" is an unreasonable position to take.
39
40 Reducing user pain isn't an all-or-nothing exercise.
41
42 Cheers,
43 Wyatt