From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 00:47:35
1 On Sat, Mar 01, 2014 at 12:24:02AM +0000, David Leverton wrote:
2 > William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > And I would argue that the maintenance cost of having separate /usr in a
4 > > general sense is much higher than the benefit it provides.
5 >
6 > That's a legitimate point (not that I necessarily agree or disagree as
7 > I'm not the one who's tried to make it work) - perhaps I should have
8 > acknowledged that it's still a trade-off. I'm just trying to get rid of
9 > the meme that whatever benefits do exist somehow don't count because
10 > they weren't planned in the original Unix design.
11
12 Actually we are digressing heavily (I'm guilty too), the original point
13 of this thread was about the fhs and how tightly we are supposed to
14 follow it.
15
16 Patrick thinks that all configuration files belong in /etc, and what has
17 happened is, some packages are placing default configuration
18 files in /lib or /usr/lib and allowing them to be overridden by files
19 with the exact same names and paths in /etc. His argument is that only
20 libraries belong in /lib or /usr/lib.
21
22 I disagree with this based on understanding how the config system in
23 these packages works. Also, I don't think a distro should do this type of
24 patching if the patches are not accepted upstream.
25
26 William