From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] implementation details for GLEP 41
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 18:15:04
1 On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 06:57:41PM +0100 or thereabouts, Danny van Dyk wrote:
2 > | There are no provisions for key management and I cannot see an easy way to
3 > | handle it. It's easy to add new keys, but how do we clean out old keys for
4 > | retired arch testers? (including arch testers that "retire" without ever
5 > | informing us) SSH doesn't log key ID as near as I can tell, so we have no
6 > | way of tracking what keys are used and how often. Also, how do we
7 > | definitively correlate an SSH key with an arch tester?
8 >
9 > Do we have to? Nobody has to track how often an Arch Tester uses RO
10 > access to CVS, as you don't need that information. RO CVS access is a
11 > service to the ATs. Their work is pretty much outside CVS...
12
13 Yes, we have to. If someone retires, their access needs to be revoked.
14
15 > | Now, the same question for email -- how do we manage aliases, especially
16 > | for inactive, retired and semi-retired arch testers? We could track usage
17 > | in logs, but between mailing list subscriptions, bugzilla
18 > notifications and
19 > | all sorts of other automated emails, that's not an accurate representation
20 > | of whether an email alias is actively used or not.
21 > Afaik the gentoo.org address is only a forward to their normal adress,
22 > so one can hardly speak 'active usage'. You simply can't actively use
23 > it! On the other hand, tracking down how active/inactive a AT/HT is
24 > falls under the project the AT/HT is associated with, or the AT/HT
25 > Project (hparker) as last resort. So if he says 'AT foo is inactive',
26 > he's to be removed from email forwarding and CVS RO Access. I really
27 > don't see the problem here.
28
29 Because, in practice, this doesn't happen. Accounts (or, in this case,
30 email addresses) stay around until someone gets enough of a bee under their
31 bonnet to do somethig about it. Since there's no pain or cost for the
32 AT/HT project lead, there's no reason for them to be vigilant about
33 tracking activity. Plus, assuming we have a large number of these testers,
34 how are people going to know whether or not one specific arch tester is
35 active? That's not an acceptable solution.
36
37 --kurt