From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: make system-sqlite a global USE flag
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 14:11:24
1 On 15:52 Tue 05 Oct , "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 > The meaning is identical in all those cases, and I think the number of
3 > packages may have hit the threshold for a global flag.
4 >
5 > However, we already have a very similar global USE flag: sqlite, which
6 > makes this a bit more tricky. The difference is very subtle:
7 >
8 > IUSE="sqlite" means "the sqlite support is optional; -sqlite means no
9 > sqlite support"
10 >
11 > IUSE="system-sqlite" means "we can use the bundled sqlite or the
12 > system one; -system-sqlite means we use the bundled one; both settings
13 > result in sqlite support"
14 >
15 > If we'd make system-sqlite a global USE flag, I'd suggest a
16 > description like "Use the system-wide dev-db/sqlite instead of bundled
17 > copy of sqlite."
18
19 I think making this a global flag implicitly endorses building bundled
20 code as an OK thing to do. Why is it an option at all, local or
21 otherwise?
24 Thanks,
25 Donnie
26