From: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
To: James Harlow <james@××××××××××××××.nu>
Cc: Kumba <kumba@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 05:28:34
1 On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 17:25, James Harlow wrote:
2
3 > Well, this isn't true, it wouldn't take more than a couple hundred. Of
4 > course, this would be pretty difficult to sift through by hand, and they
5 > can depend on each other in interesting ways, so someone would probably
6 > need to write some sort of tool to set them and feed this back to the
7 > kernel - maybe more than one tool - one ncurses-based, one pure text,
8 > one qt, or maybe something wacky like tcltk. We could call these tools
9 > something like "menuflagconfig", "xflagconfig", "flagconfig", or
10 > something similar. Actually, I'm surprised no-one has already done
11 > anything like this.
12
13 And this couple of hundred use flags, a user is supposed to know those
14 all how? Suddenly, I see your proposal being more of a pain in the butt
15 than the "problem".
16
17 So what your suggesting is to take something most people can figure out
18 in a day or two, by reading the help, or a web page and making it more
19 complex? Why on earth do you think this is a better solution?
20
21 The reason why no one has done this before is, you don't fix something
22 that isn't broken. Linux kernel compiles were never intented for new
23 users. Gentoo has changed that, and has a basic tool to help users out,
24 but Gentoo doesn't claim to be a distro for new users to linux.
25
26 Trance