From: James Harlow <james@××××××××××××××.nu>
To: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 00:25:41
1 On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 08:17:11PM -0400, Kumba wrote:
2 > x86 is *way* too diverse an architecture to configure solely through USE
3 > Flags.
4
5 Well, this isn't true, it wouldn't take more than a couple hundred. Of
6 course, this would be pretty difficult to sift through by hand, and they
7 can depend on each other in interesting ways, so someone would probably
8 need to write some sort of tool to set them and feed this back to the
9 kernel - maybe more than one tool - one ncurses-based, one pure text,
10 one qt, or maybe something wacky like tcltk. We could call these tools
11 something like "menuflagconfig", "xflagconfig", "flagconfig", or
12 something similar. Actually, I'm surprised no-one has already done
13 anything like this.
16 When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. - Jonathan Swift
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list