From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 02:06:39
1 James Harlow wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4 > Well, this isn't true, it wouldn't take more than a couple hundred. Of
5 > course, this would be pretty difficult to sift through by hand...
6 [snip]
7
8 A couple hundred? I think that alone justifies my statetment that x86
9 is far too diverse to configure via USE Flags. We already have 176
10 global useflags (line count in /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc) and 187
11 local useflags (line count in /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc).
12 All these useflags are spread across the ~5000 packages in Portage.
13 Adding another "couple hundred" specifically for x86 kernels alone is
14 overkill to the point of using C4 explosive to clear out a yellow jacket
15 nest in the ground.
18 --Kumba
21 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world:
22 small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are
23 elsewhere." --Elrond
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list