From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 13:55:32
1 Davide Pesavento:
2 >> Main developer repo
3 >> -------------------
4 >>
5 >> I was able to create a start git repository that takes around 66M
6 >> as a git pack (this is how much you will have to fetch to start working
7 >> with it). The repository is stripped clean of history and ChangeLogs,
8 >> and has thin Manifests only.
9 >>
10 >> This means we don't have to wait till someone figures out the perfect
11 >> way of converting the old CVS repository. You don't need that history
12 >> most of the time, and you can play with CVS to get it if you really do.
13 >
14 > +1
17 +1
18
19 >> In any case, we would likely strip the history anyway to get a small
20 >> repo to work with.
21 >>
22 >> I have prepared a basic git update hook that keeps master clean
23 >> and attached it to the bug [1]. It enforces basic policies, prevents
24 >> forced updates and checks GPG signatures on left-most history line. It
25 >> can also be extended to do more extensive tree checks.
26 >
27 > Are we going to disallow merge commits and ask devs to rebase local
28 > changes in order to keep the history "clean"?
31 I'd say it doesn't make sense to create merge commits for conflicts that
32 arise by someone having pushed earlier than you.
33
34 Merge commits should only be there if they give useful information.
35
36 Also... if you merge from a _user_ who is untrusted and allow a
37 fast-forward merge, then the signature verification fails. That means
38 for such pull requests you either have to use "git am" or "git merge
39 --no-ff".