From: Davide Pesavento <pesa@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: infra-bugs@g.o, qa@g.o, council@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 13:40:14
1 On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > We have main developer repo where developers work & commit and are
3 > relatively happy. For every push into developer repo, automated magic
4 > thingie merges stuff into user sync repo and updates the metadata cache
5 > there.
6
7 How long does the md5-cache regeneration process take? Are you sure it
8 will be able to keep up with the rate of pushes to the repo during
9 "peak hours"? If not, maybe we could use a time-based thing similar to
10 the current cvs->rsync synchronization.
11
12 [...]
13 > Main developer repo
14 > -------------------
15 >
16 > I was able to create a start git repository that takes around 66M
17 > as a git pack (this is how much you will have to fetch to start working
18 > with it). The repository is stripped clean of history and ChangeLogs,
19 > and has thin Manifests only.
20 >
21 > This means we don't have to wait till someone figures out the perfect
22 > way of converting the old CVS repository. You don't need that history
23 > most of the time, and you can play with CVS to get it if you really do.
24
25 +1
26
27 > In any case, we would likely strip the history anyway to get a small
28 > repo to work with.
29 >
30 > I have prepared a basic git update hook that keeps master clean
31 > and attached it to the bug [1]. It enforces basic policies, prevents
32 > forced updates and checks GPG signatures on left-most history line. It
33 > can also be extended to do more extensive tree checks.
34
35 Are we going to disallow merge commits and ask devs to rebase local
36 changes in order to keep the history "clean"?
37
38 Thanks a lot,
39 Davide