From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] client+server packages - build which one?
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 14:05:42
1 Roy Marples wrote:
2 > Some packages provide both a client and a server. As such, users usually only
3 > want one or the other - and rarely both.
4 >
5 > A good candidate is net-misc/dhcp as it installs a DHCP client and server.
6 > Which makes no sense really, so I'd like to put some USE flags here to show
7 > what I want, or not want to build.
8 >
9 > A quick scan through the use flags show no real consistency, so here's what I
10 > propose
11 >
12 > USE client server
13 > client - just build the client - duh
14 > server - just build the server - duh
15 > client and server OR neither then build both.
16 >
17 > Other packages to possably beneift
18 > udhcp
19 > mldonkey
20 > samhain
21 > bacula
22 > boxbackup
23 >
24 > Interestingly, many packages have a server USE flag but not a client one -
25 > maybe make both a global USE flag?
26 >
27 > Good idea? Bad idea? Thoughts?
30 My thought is wait until portage-2.2_alpha where we will have default
31 USE flags. Then I can see putting client/server flags up and having
32 both be default, letting the user turn off clients and servers in
33 /etc/portage/package.use.
34
35 > Thanks
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list