From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:58:16
1 Stephen Bennett wrote: [Tue Aug 30 2005, 11:26:40AM CDT]
2 > > With your experience what are the pro and cons of merging different
3 > > archs ?
4 >
5 > Fewer different keywords to manage makes for easier maintenance in most
6 > cases. If mips had 6 different keywords for different ABIs/endianness
7 > we'd never get anything done.
8
9 For me, one problem with merging amd64 and x86 the way that the mips folks
10 handle their various flavors is the not-so-minor fact that I have no
11 idea how mips does whatever magic they do to make things work, so all I
12 can do right now is say "That sounds like a good idea in principle, but,
13 gosh, it sounds awfully hard!" Perhaps this discussion might actually
14 go somewhere useful if people could be pointed to how one makes this
15 sort of thing work in practice? I'm more than happy to read the fine
16 manual, once I know which one that is....
17
18 -g2boojum-
19 --
20 Grant Goodyear
21 Gentoo Developer
22 g2boojum@g.o
23 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
24 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76