From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Guarantees of unstable architectures
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 16:24:09
1 Dear everyone,
2
3 During the open-floor part of this month's Council meeting I asked
4 whether there is any official policy regarding what is or is not
5 guaranteed for hardware architectures we do not consider stable in
6 Gentoo. For reference, according to the current version of
7 profiles/arches.desc (commit 7bdebec50c44c0222bf76334c34926b593e94dd4,
8 dated 2021-04-05) this means: alpha, ia64, m68k, mips, riscv, s390,
9 and all Prefix arches.
10
11 As it turns out, we do not in fact have any such policy. On the other
12 hand, during my time as a Gentoo developer I have heard from other
13 developers a fairly wide range of opinions on the subject - from
14 insisting on clean QA results, passing tests etc. regardless of whether
15 an arch is stable or not to assuming we guarantee nothing for unstable
16 arches.
17
18 Anyway, it has been decided that it makes sense to discuss this on the
19 mailing list before making it a Council matter. Therefore - what do you
20 all think here?
23 Marecki