From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] any interest in removing /usr/qt and /usr/kde ?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:36:56
1 On Sunday 19 September 2004 23:26, Joshua J. Berry wrote:
2 > I could easily see KDE/Qt being treated as an "add-on", given that (a)
3 > they're not necessary for core system functionality (whatever that means),
4 Er, so does that mean anything not in the system profile should go in /opt?
5 I'd say qt/kde is as important a piece of a dekstop system using it as any
6 other.
7
8 > and (b) they are both heavily-bloated,
9 Bloated in what respect? Size, speed? And what does it have to do with where
10 we install them to?
11
12 > and you probably don't want to
13 > pollute /usr...
14 It's true that I don't want to, only I don't see a better solution.
15
16 If there's a general consensus on moving to /opt I can live with that, because
17 it doesn't affect the ebuilds/eclasses/results one bit. It's just that it's
18 entirely inconsistent with the way we're using /opt right now.
19
20 And what if, in a year from now, twenty other projects will decide it's good
21 for the users to allow many versions to be installed side by side? Will we
22 move everything to /opt? My point here is that kde itself is not special in
23 any way (although qt arguably is, since you do want different qt2 and qt3
24 programs side by side, but then the qt libraries could live together in /usr
25 with some effort). It's just that kde users asked for this functionality a
26 lot, so I added it. Apart from running two stable trees, kde developers use
27 this to run a stable tree and cvs HEAD.
28
29 <snip>
30 > I really do think this is what /opt was intended for. "Add-on" sounds to
31 > me like it's one of those purposefully open-ended words that you can
32 > interpret however you like. Actually, the whole section on /opt in the FHS
33 > reads that way ...
34
35 Well, I simply don't know what they mean by add-on, so obviously you can
36 interpret it however you like :-)
37
38 However, isn't there -any- consensus on what this is supposed to mean? Can we
39 just ask the FHS guys if this is so unclear? (And cf. what Ciaran just
40 replied.)
43 Dan Armak
44 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
45 Matan, Israel
46 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
47 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951