From: "Joshua J. Berry" <condordes@g.o>
To: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] any interest in removing /usr/qt and /usr/kde ?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:25:58
1 On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 11:16:44PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > On Sunday 19 September 2004 23:07, Joshua J. Berry wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 11:06:29PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
4 > > > /usr/qt,kde was my decision at the time. I didn't see any obvious better
5 > > > FHS-mandated place to put them in. If there's a better place, I'd at
6 > > > least like to hear about it.
7 > >
8 > > Why /usr instead of /opt?
9 > Quoting FHS 2.3 (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html):
10 > "Purpose: /opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application software
11 > packages."
12 >
13 > To this day I haven't heard a good definitin of "add-on" software in this
14 > context. I don't see qt/kde as being an addon to anything else.
15
16 I could easily see KDE/Qt being treated as an "add-on", given that (a) they're
17 not necessary for core system functionality (whatever that means), and (b) they
18 are both heavily-bloated, and you probably don't want to pollute /usr...
19
20 > Moreover, as Paul points out, in Gentoo we only use /opt so far for
21 > binary-only packages and for packages that don't obey the general unix
22 > directory structur (/bin, /lib, /share, /include...). qt/kde has neither of
23 > these characteristics.
24
25 This is true, but I'm wondering if that's maybe a silly move on our part, for
26 just this reason.
27
28 > The FHS says about /usr: "Large software packages must not use a direct
29 > subdirectory under the /usr hierarchy." I agree this rules out what we're
30 > doing. The problem is, noone ever proposed a better (more FHS-compliant)
31 > solution.
32
33 I really do think this is what /opt was intended for. "Add-on" sounds to me
34 like it's one of those purposefully open-ended words that you can interpret
35 however you like. Actually, the whole section on /opt in the FHS reads that way
36 ...
39 Joshua J. Berry
40
41 "I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere."
42 -- /usr/games/fortune