From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:37:28
1 Ciaran McCreesh posted <20051106214747.4e6a9cff@××××××××.home>, excerpted
2 below, on Sun, 06 Nov 2005 21:47:47 +0000:
3
4 > On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 14:38:47 -0700 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 > | While I agree with the point you make, I don't believe the apache
6 > | upgrade issues were announced on the announce list. The news in the
7 > | tree thing is a good idea, IMO, but it'll take some time to
8 > | implement. "Earth changing" (for some Gentoo users) announcements
9 > | can and should go to announce -- that's what it's there for.
10 >
11 > Why should every user have to sign up to be spammed with irrelevant
12 > GLSAs and news items for packages which they do not use?
13
14 They shouldn't /have/ to, but the option is there. Those who care about
15 security and care about getting a heads-up on "major" changes of this
16 nature, will find several opportunities to be notified of them. The
17 announce list is one. Lurking the dev list is another. Reading GWN is a
18 third, and RSSing or regularly visiting the front page is yet another.
19
20 However, as I said, I agree with the point made, and believe something
21 like this "push" proposal is a /good/ thing. I'm just not sure how much
22 I'd /personally/ prioritize it, given that there are plenty of information
23 sources for those that care, already. That only means I'd find other
24 things of higher priority, but just the same, I'm glad /someone/ finds
25 doing it worthwhile, and I'll be /very/ glad to add it to my list of
26 information sources, when it eventually becomes available (notification
27 in depth, to modify a phrase). Until then, however, I'm just saying lets
28 make the best of what we have, and when there's an announcement of
29 something big happening, let's ensure it gets to the announce list, among
30 other places (as it apparently did in this case, I just forgot, as it was
31 old news already, since I'd seen it on the dev list, one of the reasons I
32 /read/ the dev list!).
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
38 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list